Saturday, January 12, 2008

Just in Case I Go Missin'

Jack got home from a business trip, one of the few where he rented a vehicle to drive to the site. Usually he flies all the way across or out of the country. He asked me to follow him down to the rental place to return the truck, but first he wanted to stop off at the recycling center. It was crowded when we got there and I didn’t want to muck up the line, so I rolled down my window and told Jack I’d pull around and wait for him at the exit.

I waited and waited. I even talked to a woman about her shaggy dog. Then I saw him coming around the corner, but he was going really fast. Also, remember that this is a rental truck so I wasn’t certain it was Jack. He flies past me. I jump out of my Jeep and try to flag him down. He’s outta there! He zooms right past me and the guys who are doing community service by recycling cardboard look at me like, “What a loser!”

So I get back in the Jeep and call Jack.

“Hello?” he calmly answers.

“Where are you?!”

“I’m going to the rental place.”

“Didn’t you forget something, like me?”

“I didn’t see you.”

“How could you have not seen me? You almost ran over me! You went out of here like a bat out of hell!”

“Well, I didn’t see you.”

“So you left?!”

(Note to self: Don’t rely on being saved by Jack if the house catches on fire.)

Then his classic line that’s like salt on a slug. “Well there’s no sense in arguing about it now.”

AAAaarggh! @##@$%@@&^

I found the rental place and as he exited his vehicle, I jumped in front of him, jumped up and down, and said, “Do ya see me; do ya see me?”

“Smart ass,” he said

At lights out that night I offered some advice: “You know that was a really flawed plan. I can find my way back home, after all. The next time you try to ditch me, we’ll probably have to be outside the borders of the state in order to delay my return.”

“Okay,” he said.

6 Comments:

At 10:58 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

He was probably going to run you down, but lost his nerve at the last minute. Older men are often ambivalent and have problems making decisions (encroaching Alzheimer's.)

Just look at it this way, he might have decided to carry through with it but missed a bit and just hit a leg and an arm. Who would take care of the dogs?

I don't recommend getting him any new glasses, lest his aim improve.

On the other hand, maybe he was just preoccupied--lost in a miasma of ruminating turbulence. He is probably having some cognitive problems--most of us old guys do pretty quickly. By the time we die, we don't know who we are and for some of us, that would be a blessing. Since you've read my blog recently, you know what I mean.

 
At 4:44 PM , Blogger Matthew said...

Jack is just Jack... plain and simple. Been that way for at least the 17 years I have known him,(even though I was MIA for awhile) Don't think he's encroaching Alzheimer's or any cognitive issues. Some people are just very laid back around TYPE A'ers... Just my 2 cents worth, but I am "crazy" ya know.... Hey everyone, a fabulous thought, lets PRETEND to be positive and happy!! Yay :)

 
At 5:49 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Hey Denise, you've got that right. Twenty years ago, while visiting friends in Ohio, he took David (less than a year old at the time) on a wagon ride around the block. When Jack returned, the wagon was empty. "Where's David?!" I screamed when he returned. Jack was very surprised. I found my one and only son asleep in someone's front yard. He'd fallen out of the wagon. What do you think Jack's response was? "No point in arguing about it now hon."

 
At 8:44 PM , Blogger Gail said...

P.S. Denise: To me, "crazy" is a complimentary word, because people who act extremely sane are hiding something. If I think someone is bonkers, I describe them as "NUTS!" :)

 
At 10:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Jack was REALLY trying to ditch you...probably.
But if it happens again, remind him there would be no one to make his French Onion Soup.

 
At 4:55 AM , Blogger Matthew said...

Bonkers, Nuts and Crazy. I saved you time thinking of your next title.
xxxooooo!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home