Sunday, December 23, 2007

Deja Vu Doo

I’ve always been one of those people who never forgets a face. If only I could as consistently remember the names that went with them. Sometimes I do. Once when I was in my early twenties, I saw a man and his girlfriend in the parking lot of an apartment building. “Aren’t you Warner Fox who came to Knollwood grammar school in the third grade?” I asked him. “Yes,” he answered with a look of amazement. “We were in Mrs. Smith’s class together,” I told him. He was amazed.

But here’s the thing. If I fix a name to someone that seems to suit them better, I literally cannot get it out of my mind. Jack and I lived next to a very nice older couple when we were first married, and though the man’s name was Ray, I persisted in calling him Neil. I tried and tried, apologized and apologized. Eventually, he began to answer to Neil. The human brain is a strange device and in my case, a sometimes torturous one.

For example, I put out sunflower seeds every day for the squirrels and birds—I never get it why people want squirrel-proof feeders. I’m an equal opportunity sunflower seeder, so much so that the squirrels put their little paws on the glass of our back doors and peer in if I’m late for lunch. Anyway, I’m putting out the sunflower seeds that David says I’m pouring out like little lines of cocaine—hmm—and all of a sudden, I notice that my tried-and-true sunflowers are mixed with little white birdseed pellets. I don’t like this and say so. David doesn’t understand the problem.

“The birds can eat both and the squirrels can eat the sunflower seeds,” he tells me.

Long a person who doesn’t like chips in cookies or nuts in brownies, I explain that now the birds have to pick out their stuff or mix it up and the squirrels as well. “Now it’s just annoying for everybody!” I say.

“It must be really difficult living in that head of yours,” says David. He has no idea. Obviously, I have digressed but this whole blather actually does have some thread of relativity which is about how our minds work or don’t.

Today, Jack and I were in Sam’s, the giant-portion store, and during Christmas rush no less, when I looked up and locked eyes with an Asian woman some twenty feet away. We both immediately smiled, waved vigorously, and yelled over the din of the crowd, “Hello! Hello!” We were both very happy to see each other, but as I wheeled my cart closer to her, I could tell by her expression that we were both in the same predicament. As I passed her, we both said, “How are you?!” then as if by unspoken agreement, neither of us answered but just kept on truckin’.

“Who was that?” Jack asked.

“I have absolutely no idea,” I replied.

Maybe this hectic world makes our synapses jump when we see a familiar face in an unfamiliar setting. Now if I could only match a familiar setting with the face. (She might be doing the same thing right now.) Or maybe people knew one another in completely different lives and in some strange warp their elliptical paths cross over in a grocery store, or on the street, and sometimes they notice and sometimes they don’t.

In any case . . . weird.

8 Comments:

At 8:37 AM , Blogger Matthew said...

Brilliant and so much fun for me to "catch up" with the madness of your life! Anxiously going to read the whole BLOG you crazy lady!!
Love ya,
Denise :)

 
At 9:59 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

When you reach a certain age, I think the neural pathways become overused and everybody seems to resemble someone you've met before. Either that, or the Devil creates the illusion that a passing face is familiar so that you will greet them and they (being a psychotic, serial killer dressed as a normal neurotic, suicidal post office employee) will become angry and murder you (and all your friends too, if you had any.)

But then, sometimes, a face in the crowd reminds you of an old flame (if you had one) or an old lover (probably didn't have one of those either,) or an old enemy (probably thousands of these) or a happy ex-employer (none of these either, I'm afraid.)

Then other times you see a face in the crowd and it reminds you of Freddy Kruger, or Michael Myers, or your third grad math teacher and you want to hurl. Or the face looks like a clown and clowns scare the shit out of you (me too!) and you want to puke.

Or you see a face and it reminds you of someone you knew who died and never got buried and you want to blow chunks, cause they are like...night of the living dead kinda ugly. Or you see a face in the crowd and it scares you cause it looks like your Sunday School teacher and you've missed the last 8 years and don't have a good excuse (ceptin' maybe your recent conversion to Islam) and people keep asking you why you're carrying the rug around with you all the time; why don't people mind their own business?

My point is, facial recognition is a God given talent and its even better with wine and cheese.

 
At 11:01 AM , Blogger Gail said...

Okay Jerry, I don't care if it is the holidays. Take your meds! :)

 
At 8:09 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

Sometimes you see a face in the crowd and it reminds you of someone you shagged back when you still had hormones, or the face reminds you of an idol you used to worship back during your idolatry phase.

Sometimes the face reminds you of a face you have never seen before and you get all freaked out because you don't know if the Twilight Zone is invading your everyday life. Your everyday life already gave you the creeps and so the face that does not remind you of a face strikes you with faceless fear.

My point is that biochemistry, and math and genetics are all tied together in some kind of weird faceless way. My father always said, "Son, when you sober up, never trust a person without a face." My father's wisdom always humbled me, and I always said,"What the hell are you talking about?"

Boy, those were the treasured moments

 
At 3:50 PM , Blogger Jerry said...

What about Deja Doo-Doo--the strange, quasi-petit-mal-sensation that you have defecated in that same spot once before? Like at the Lenox Square Mall or Phipps Mall--in the back seat of your car?

Or maybe you got trapped in one of Atlanta's 4 hour traffic jams and had to use a baggy? Is that illegal?

Is Deja Vu Doo the strange, dreamlike state where you use other people's toilets while you sleep walk? I think this is a new clinical diagnostic and probably one should see a psychiatrist of a psychologist with exlax.

I really do hate January.

 
At 4:03 PM , Blogger Gail said...

January and February, both bummers. And I was born in Feb.--go figure. Guess I wasn't that happy about it.

 
At 4:18 PM , Blogger Matthew said...

Just got to love the Google ads on top of your Blog page. They are random, but fact is, that this is what i just saw on the top:
BIRD FEEDERS : Over 400 Bird Feeders... Free Shipping Offered and the other side was: ASIAN AMERICAN BLOG : Outspoken-views on issues facing the Asian American Community. Seems like Google has tracked your Deja Vu Doo to Asian Bird Poo.
Oh Gail, you really do know how to attract "DOO"

 
At 5:05 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Attracting DOO is a very specific talent. Sadly, it doesn't pay well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home