Monday, December 10, 2007

Christmas Redux

Every year, I plan a great holiday season, probably because I love Christmas. But every year, that season comes faster and lasts a shorter amount of time. As a kid, I remember being shocked when I discovered that Christmas came once a year. In my childhood timeframe, it seemed that it only came every five years, and at random. Now, with my only child grown, the season has this eerie, duplicitous quality of arriving and ending very quickly with its latent, sad spirit hinting that it might never come again.

Jack scrolled through the television onscreen menu the other night and chose the “Frosty the Snowman” cartoon. I have some nostalgia for certain seasonal shows, but this one is a particularly cheesy attempt to add more plot to a basic song, along with a sleazy and completely fabricated magician. Plus the animation is flat and cheap. We sat there and glared at it for about 20 minutes before I asked, “Is there some reason we’re watching this?”

Jack said, “I thought you liked it.”

“Nope.”

“Thank God.”

I guess it might be a sad commentary that the traditional festive movie for my son and I is “The Ref,” with Dennis Leary, so tonight, once again the empty nester and grass widow, I tried to watch “White Christmas.” Suspending disbelief is getting tougher and tougher, I discovered. For example, for years I’ve been trying to convince myself that Rosemary Clooney was attractive enough to land Bing Crosby, only to finally admit that she had a better chance with My Friend Flicka. Then, while Bing croons about counting his blessings, I have to struggle to snuff out visions of him drunkenly beating and berating his kids.

I can’t remember the name of the “sister” in the movie, the one with the incredibly pointy breasts, but when she tells Danny Kaye that he’s witty, handsome, and gay, I have to say, “Well three’s a charm.” I watched a Christmas television movie with Linda Hamilton this weekend that was so astoundingly schmaltzy that I stayed with it just for the shock factor.

Tonight I spent an hour on the phone with my Mom who wants assistance ordering television trays online for my sister. I tell her there are over two million hits for same. As I read her one description that fits her quite distinct specifications, she asks me if there are any other choices. Unfortunately for me, only one million, nine hundred and ninety-nine more options!

It’s the end of the year, and suddenly I’ve got work—lots of it, just as I planned for some official down time. Go figure. Maybe if I get a chance, I’ll do a holiday puzzle. Possibly that will get that old piney smell, pretty lights, magical feeling going. I doubt it.

Okay, so I stopped blathering about this subject long enough to watch (with tears welling) the scene where all the military men gather in Vermont to sing “We’ll follow the old man, wherever he wants to go . . .” to the old defunct general. I guess I feel the same way about Santa.

2 Comments:

At 8:05 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

Very nice. I feel exactly the same way. I tried to watch White Christmas, but the only part I like is where Bing sings the song. The rest of the movie is boring as hell. I think all the leads in this one are mediocre looking, but its hard to imagine Brad Pitt and George Clooney playing the parts.

We watched one version of A Christmas Carol the other night; that will get you in the mood.

I liked the post. It's funny how reading about someone's thoughts and feelings--even if there is nothing earth-shatteringly auspicious in the content--is pleasant and comforting. Like sitting by the fireside with them and hearing about their day.

I'll call next week. Leaving town today to go to Houston. I don't think I could be more excited, unless I get a boil on my neck.

 
At 3:19 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Well thanks Jerry, I think:) I just appreciate the fact that you read my blog! Since I don't believe I've ever written (or ever will) anything that is earth-shatteringly auspicious, then I can just call myself Mrs. Roosevelt:) Anyway, I don't know, Houston might have some fun potential, but I've never been there. I think you should try one of those bull riding things. (Oh, that's a funny vision.) Not that there's anything wrong with that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home