Saturday, November 17, 2007

Turkeys Cry Too a.k.a. "I'm baaack."

Remember that movie “Broadcast News” where Holly Hunter endures a crying breakdown prior to every newscast, then emerges as a tough, hard-shelled broad? That’s what I do, but on a bi-annual (and at times tri-annual) basis. I had one of my semi-annual meltdowns last night—I cry, rant, and express all of the horrible fears that I squish into my nightmares during a year’s time. Then I feel guilty and remorseful for being human.

For the most part, these episoodies occur in private, although I must admit that Jack bears the brunt of such unexpected manifestations. You see, I pride myself on keeping it together, because as I remember it, outward expressions of negative emotions were strongly discouraged in my family. Oddly enough, humor can always be a safer, passive-aggressive (or even aggressively acceptable outlet) than truly expressed feelings. That’s the option I’ve chosen (often to my detriment) over time. Friend Jill said, “You always think of the perfect zinger right on the spot, but I only think of them later.”

I thanked her for the compliment, but reminded her that thinking of the zinger and then immediately expressing it has been the downfall of my personal and professional career. For example, I once grabbed the necktie of my hyperactively obnoxious boss at the conservative company of Kimberly-Clark, jerked him forward nose-to-nose, and hissed that if he would just shut up, I could correct the multiple mistakes he had made and was attempting to blame on me. Oddly, he staggered down the hall and never mentioned the event again. (Although, I did hear him squeak to a fellow manager, "She tried to kill me.") Yet, I was never promoted. Oddly. Now I focus on trying to keep my clever rejoinders inside of my toady brain. Sometimes I win; sometimes I don't.

In any case, I usually have the meltdown alone, wipe away my tears, buck-up and move on, but it takes a few hours of recovery. However, if someone haplessly wanders into the 24-hour recovery period, strange things might happen. As luck would have it, mom and older sister, Lynn, called amidst the event. My sister was a bit taken aback when I explained that I was in no place to hear about her current dilemmas, but she surprisingly called me back the next day and remarked that I sounded better, before asking my advice about which pies to bring for Thanksgiving. “Well I’ve brushed myself off and I’m starting all over again, as usual,” I said. That seemed to be enough of an explanation. We keep-it-all-inside people don’t get a lotta press or air time.

So I have been to the abyss and have slowly floated back to the top for a short while, before I get tired of treading the murky waters again, ask “why botha?” and instantly sink like a stone. I’m looking on the bright side; I had the meltdown before the Thanksgiving family gathering. Now that’s something to be thankful for!

5 Comments:

At 4:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well timing of meltdowns is crucial, and before Thanksgiving would seem like a sensible option to me.

As for the 'brave face' have you researched your ancestry as that's a very British trait.
Cheers

 
At 4:51 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Why yes Maddy and thank you for pointing that out. I really do think that genes as well as nurture (or lack thereof) has a huge impact on our behavior, but more often than not, I'm beginning to lean your way toward the genes. That would really explain my erratic behavior as I have Irish (straight from the potato boat) on my Dad's side (O'Ferrell), French on my Mom's (Mercier), English (Rockmoore), Dutch (Cox), and Cherokee Indian (Don't know that one!). No wonder I'm having meltdowns. Maybe I'm just confused:)

 
At 6:07 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Wait a minute! I think I just tracked down my Indian name--Crazy Like Loon.

I think that pretty much lets me off the hook.

 
At 5:10 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

Believe it or not, there is a psychological condition associated with Tourette's Syndrome (something you have joked about having in the past) called, "Intermittent Explosive Disorder" or IED (just when you thought you had your disorder diagnosed). This does not apply to you, because the intermittent emotional outbursts are rage-related, and last from 3 to 30 minutes. (I think I may have this.)

I think the episodes you have are healthy--imperative to maintaining one's sanity. I do the same thing but with a variation. Every so often, when I'm alone and the stress has built up for weeks or months--I just break down. Something will usually trip the switch--an event, something I see on TV or a memory. It lasts for about 2 or 3 minutes--then I feel better.

I think of them as "Intermittent Emotional Explosions," or IEE (got to keep those abbreviations coming). I feel sorry for people who don't have them, because the shit just keeps on piling up and their body absorbs it in the form of physical problems--clinical issues. Let's face it, you either explode or implode, one or the other.

I think ways of handling stress are transferred by family and culture. The gene for transferring stress into action is there, but as social animals we learn to internalize rage and sorrow (we wouldn't want to cause a scene). Ever notice how whenever someone is being interviewed on television, about their lives or after a tragedy, and they cry--they always apologize? As if, for some reason, we should be concerned that our crying is somehow socially unacceptable?

That is one cultural artifact that works to cause us to bottle up our feelings. Anyway, you got yours out and that's a good thing.

 
At 1:02 PM , Blogger Candy Rant said...

I know that abyss. Am relieved to hear that you visit there too. And that you climb out quickly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home