Sunday, January 20, 2008

Blow My Snow!

When I was 13-years-old, my father’s company transferred us to a part of the country where generations of our family— a combination of Irish, French, English, Dutch, and Cherokee Indian—had never been: Ohio. My God, we were north of the Mason/Dixon line!

I was an Atlanta suburban kid with a heavy Southern accent, yanked from the midst of my first long-awaited year of high school in Georgia, only to be plunked into something called a “middle-school,” a non-entity down south until way later. I could write an entire book on the prejudices I experienced upon my arrival in this state of provincial people, but right now I’m just going to talk about snow.

Why? Because the subject of “snow” just PISSES me off!

Just as one example, stoned out of my mind in the 1970s, I found myself and a friend of mine in a tunnel-vision blizzard out in the country. All I could see was a snow funnel and no road. “We’re going to die!” the Ohio native screamed. “Not helping,” I replied, but I drove safely through the storm.

You see, she had never experienced the road trauma of “Black Ice” that I had survived on, albeit rare occasions, in the South. Snow ain’t got no fear compared to black ice.

Now, whenever the South has snow, the Yamn Dankees down here can’t stop commenting about how stupid we are about this phenomenon that is as rare to us as a hot day in January is to them. Yeah, we’re stupid. We take a holiday and enjoy ourselves when we experience a beautiful anomaly in our region. We use it as a reason to go out and enjoy life with our loved ones, even using the smallest accumulation to try and build a snow (person), throw a snowball, or hopefully let our kids experience the fun of sledding over even the slightest, whitest clump we can find.

We haven’t invested in extensive snow equipment for road clearance, because that would be stupid. And if the rest of you are so hell-bound to get to work every day, just view some of that footage of multiple-car pileups from your region of people who just had to get to work on time. Smart. Really smart.

I recall years ago when a certain Northern transplant sped past us with a condescending glance as in his BMW, he passed us in our hilly suburban neighborhood. His car hit the invisible ice, so often prevalent in our Southern climes, and he lost control and hit a tree. As he sullenly walked past us, we were courteous enough not to say a word. If only our Northern transplants had the upbringin’ to do the same.

8 Comments:

At 5:54 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

There is nothing quite as exhilarating as the first neural pulse of fear and surprise that strikes the system after your car starts wandering on its own accord.

For those of us who like to be in control, there is no experience like complete experiential chaos--like having absolutely zero control over the direction your car is moving or whether it will ever stop moving.

The "Southerners-can't-drive-on-the
-snow," myth is the only consultation for tens of millions of northerners that hate where they live and their weather. Like Oakies, if they can get all their stuff in a conveyance they hit the road for Georgia and points south.

Except Macon...no northerners seem to want to move to Macon. Wonder why?

 
At 5:56 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

By the way, nice title.

 
At 11:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, friend Jerry.....let us not bash Macon. They're not hankerin' for any Yankees.

 
At 2:09 PM , Blogger Jerry said...

France,

One of Macon's biggest attractors for me is the absence of foreigners. Just Nu Way hotdogs and good Christians. You can do a lot worse.

 
At 7:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, they do let in a few Baptist Yankees who travel several hundred miles for a NuWay. It would be an unseemly breach of southern hospitality to refuse them, after all!

 
At 3:34 PM , Blogger Matthew said...

Being a Dankee or Donkey, I remember some really terrible days due to that white cold stuff. I lost a few friends over the years in car accidents due to icy and snowy conditions. Snow and driving are a lethal combination, no matter where it happens. Stay home, make a "snow person" and stay the f*ck of the roads when you see that white stuff fall! Dankee land is filled with Irish,German,Polish etc... folk, and they may not be a 'rebel'lious as you think :)

 
At 4:16 PM , Blogger Gail said...

I guess the newscasters always find just the right one at the airport or on the streets to make some inane comment about Southerners in snow. Strange thing is those people are down here. Hmmm. Hey, some of my best friends came from the Northerly area, including you. The goods one quickly acclimate:)

 
At 3:33 AM , Blogger Matthew said...

Did you a least get to throw a snowball or make a snow person (action figure sized)? I made a grape sized snowball to "check the consistency" of the snow(a possible northern trait).Yup, it is now coming back to me... Up north, the people (men)always used to say, "those damn women don't know how to drive in the snow". LOL!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home