Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Death of Halloween




For decades American children have enjoyed Halloween and built memories from cool nights running through the streets, falling over poorly made costumes and, as comedian Jerry Seinfeld says, yelling “Wait up!” in whining tones to our siblings and friends as we try to fix the flimsy rubber bands on our plastic masks. I actually only had two “store bought” costumes as a child: one was Tweety-Bird and the other a gorilla. Both had great masks, but the rubber bands, not so good.

Later, as old black-and-white photos will attest, older sister Lynn always dressed as something glam like a fairy princess or something. I stand next to her in oversized clothes from my father’s closet with charcoal on my face and sometimes a tooth blacked out—a hobo, or something similar. Those were the times when we could run through the neighborhood with those lousy pre-printed Halloween bags that when the bottoms hit the damp ground or bushes gave way and spewed our precious candy everywhere. I was a picky eater and didn’t really care that much for most of the candy, anyway; I’m still the same way; I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, but I enjoyed the hunt.

Once my Dad put his suit coat on backward and wrapped his head in gauze, Invisible Man style. He wanted to scare some of the big teenagers who he thought were well past the door-to-door age. So he crept up behind one who was standing on our front porch and tapped him on the shoulder. His little trick backfired because the kid ripped our screen door right off the hinges and ran through our living room screaming leaving muddy footprints all over my Mom’s carpet. She wasn’t pleased.

When son David had his first go at Halloween at about two-and-a-half years of age, we dressed him like a Jack-o-Lantern and took him to my parent’s neighborhood. (It’s the only age that parents can ever get away with that type of costume.) Once we coached him on the right words, he was unstoppable, running from one door to another shouting “Fwick o Feet.” He was one persistent pumpkin. Then I think he was Batman for the remainder of his Halloween career with one brief sojourn as Sonic the Hedgehog. Now all these politically correct do-gooders, along with their twisted sicko counterparts have just about ruined the tradition. Kids have to roam around in brightly lit shopping malls and collect candy. What a drag!

I devised an elaborate treasure hunt for a Halloween party one year, at the age when only boys were invited and that was fine with them. I hid cool stuff like squishy eyeballs, skeletons, and rubber fingers throughout the woods and handed them all a poem I’d written that included clues to the bounty. What the hell was I thinking? Within five seconds of telling them about goods in the woods, I was picking up a ream of orange handouts and listening to what sounded like a re-enactment of the Civil War in the trees. It started to drizzle as I prayed that no one broke any noses or limbs during the rampage. My brother-in-law, dressed as Freddy Kruger ran out of the dark with a chain saw as Jack pulled wagonloads of them through the woods on the tractor. (They loved that.) And Grandma as gypsy read fortunes. They were naively amazed when she told them revealing things like, “You appear to like baseball.” Jennifer the pirate tried to apply rub-on tattoos as the kids said things like, “These tattoos suck!”

“Aye, me matey, just hold still,” she replied.

The piñata fell on the floor after the first hit and as a scene from “Lord of the Flies, a Halloween story” ensued I was witness to what vicious little beasts the male gender can be. As the parents retrieved their muddy children, they looked at me like I was insane, but there may have been just a glint of admiration in their eyes, a nod to my bravery. Nah! Probably not. To this day, I have never fully recovered.

But my real disappointment regarding this upcoming festivity is that we don’t have Trick or Treaters. As David grew up, we had eighteen children on this small rural road—one was mine and the remainder belonged to two, yes two, other families. These are the ones who go around telling their children that Halloween is evil and so on, but one such family would let the kids go from room to room in their own home while the Mom and Dad answered the interior doors and gave them candy. Now if that isn’t scary, what is?! The daughter from said family once spotted a plastic pumpkin filled with candy on my kitchen counter and admonished me that Halloween was the devil’s birthday. “Oh it is not! Have some candy,” I told her. Then the all-of-six-year’s-old tyke looked at Jennifer and asked, “Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior?”

“I don’t think a little girl should be asking an adult that question because it’s none of your business,” Jennifer replied blandly. (I thought that was a great answer.)

Now you can’t even find a damn Halloween puzzle depicting this most sinful of celebrations where God forbid, kids dress up in costumes and laugh and giggle and eat candy. Blasphemy! I’ve given up putting a bowl of candy on the steps for the kids that never come if I’m not at home, becaue I occasionally go to a friend’s house to view the paltry few little cherubs that show up at the door. It’s a shame, but I still decorate with my plug-in pumpkin and cardboard skeletons and witchy lawn ornament. So Happy Halloween you bad, bad people! One of these days I’m going to follow through with my idea to put a big sign in my front yard that reads, “Happy Birthday Satan!”

6 Comments:

At 2:53 PM , Blogger Jerry said...

What a good mom you've been. I read your Halloween biography with nostalgia. We are way rural, and have not seen Trick or Treaters in 15 years--since we moved out here to the lake.

I miss the little demons, goblins, and imps--the darling little children with their proud parents watchfully overseeing the festivities.

It is preferable these days to take a picture of each person who gives your child candy and record their address in case razor blades or arsenic becomes and issue later.

I've got a thing about witches, kind of like the thing I have about clowns only with less screaming. I don't know why people who know you make such a big deal if you get a little weird about scary things like that. You'd think they never saw anyone wet themselves before.

Anyway, good Halloween history and kudos to you for being the good witch of Woodstock. Now, have a frigging party and invite me. The woman who used to have the Halloween party we attended moved out of town and we don't have any reason to drink on Halloween or dress funny.

I hate the Holidays.

 
At 9:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stumbled on this blog and it is delightful. What wonderful life stories. When you record them, life's obstacles become interesting.

I wish you could take my dull, boring life and turn it into something humorous like yours.

If I had any friends, I would send them here to be entertained. I did have one friend, but the SOB wrote a negative book about behavior modification and I hate him for it.

I wish I could find the SOB that edited the trash for him. I think somebody must have written it for the moron.

As you can see, now I have no friends. Maybe you could be my friend? Why not? You have a wonderful life so surely you can share some of it with someone like me. I'm getting out soon and I could come see you.

 
At 2:33 PM , Blogger Jerry said...

And then...there was silence. The lonely blog sat quietly...contemplating its destiny. Will I be abandoned...it thought, or will a thoughtful stranger happen upon my bones here decaying in the sunless darkness of cyberspace?

Or...it thought...will some other shit happen? It didn't know, but it didn't like its tone of voice, even if it was its own tone. "Nobody uses that tone of voice with me," it thought. "Not even me."

Then, confused the lonely, solemn blog decided to take some Thorazine and quit talking to itself...

I hate the voices when they come...it thought.

 
At 9:03 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Yes my friend, you've said it well and completely. As my blood thickens like syrup in the winter, I'm believing that this blog may have run its plodding course. Yet, I will add a few more attempts whilst my last days as an insect of the world slog on. However, thanks to you and qofd, I have had two readers of this post. (Sorry, but your anonymous entry was a bit transparent, though I love ya for the effort:)

 
At 5:53 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

I think you should get more experimental with your writing. How about the theme, "Reflections While Going Down the Drain?"

You could mix humor and biting sarcasm; make some observations about life and death and the other thing. What is the other thing, you ask? That's for you to know and me to find out. Is that right? It doesn't look right. It must be the Tao again.

Every time I turn around the Tao is acting up. Yinning and Yanging and messing with my Karma. "The Zen of the Tao," is a book I'm reading and I'm confused.

I tried reading "Dummies for Dummies," but that confused me too.

I hate October, but I love the fall. Well, have to go now...time for meds.

 
At 11:45 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

I've been meaning to mention something about Jack's skin color. I think he may have a liver issue. He is looking a little, well...orange to be frank. It is not my place to question his dietary habits, but you may not be feeding him a balanced diet.

I hesitate to suggest that alcohol abuse might be the cause of his appearance, but you might want to check underneath his drawers (the furniture ones)to see if he is hiding Vodka again.

It's easy to see that he is putting on a happy face for appearances sake. He seems to have lost all his hair as well.

Don't mean to be intrusive, just trying to help.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home