Thursday, September 06, 2007

Sometimes It's Okay to be Corny!

How is it possible that I have now lived with a person who is my complete opposite for longer than I was alive as a single person?! And don’t get me wrong, I’m not being critical. Jack and I ask ourselves this question on a regular basis. What do we have in common? He is a morning person, full of vim and vigor and get up and go, who accomplishes more than ten men in a day within an hour. I am a night person, roaming about the house throughout the wee hours, reading, sometimes writing, peering out the windows, lurking outside and looking at toads and lizards (sometimes talking to them), while ruminating on the meaning of life.

Jack greets me cheerily in the morning as I amble out (disappointed, yet somehow grateful that I’m still here) with his agonizing question, “What are your plans for today?” In my mind, I’m planning to survive, but only if I mainline some caffeine first.

On one of our first major arguments, we both left the house in our cars and veered off in opposite directions at the end of the street while shooting the finger at one another. I don't know what we were thinking, because we both had to sheepishly return to the same house. As corny as it may seem, we were too responsible and dedicated to each other to do anything else.

How many times have we argued, wanted to throw things, actually thrown things, and wanted to simultaneously strangle each other during these almost three decades? How many arguments or, worse yet, silences have we foolishly prolonged over conflicting opinions on raising a child or the perceived insensitivity of one over another? (Actually, usually those sensitivity arguments were mine, because he just doesn’t talk about those things, unless forced. How insensitive is that?!!)

On the other hand, how many times have we laughed uncontrollably at something that finally hit us both as ridiculous, or said the exact same thing at the same time, or brought home identical groceries? How much joy have we experienced from a son that somehow manages to understand that we’re strange, yet brings his friends over to display us without embarrassment (well, maybe some embarrassment) and tells us he loves us even in front of his macho amigos and girlfriends?

Incredibly, Jack has put up with my annoying ability to sing a song phrase, Tourette’s style, which fits any occasion, and let me tell you, I remember all the verses to ditties like “A Good Breakfast Starts My Day.” I, on the other hand, have learned to translate his alien-speak to Earth language. For example, when he tells me that he put the hat in the microwave, I intuitively know that he put the mayonnaise in the refrigerator. Jack once reprimanded my son, “Young man, get in here and put your kitchen in the chicken!”

“What, exactly does he want me do?” my son asked.

“He wants you to put your dishes in the dishwasher,” I whispered, and we both laughed, but David complied.

My husband is often in another world of high-tech thinking; the house is littered with bits of paper, doodled with reminders and numbers; the dryer and washing machine filled with drill bits and odd little tubes, our garage (never again to house a car) is filled with God only knows what. It drives me crazy, but I can live with it, obviously. Just before he left on another long business trip recently he frantically informed me that he had torn the house apart looking for a charger for another of his technical doo-higgy whatevers. "Did you look under your recliner?" I asked.

"Here it is! How did you know?" he asked.

After this long, I know.

His is a beautiful mind and underneath all of the sternness, a beautiful soul. On the rare occasion of getting one Martini into him, he’s hilarious. And believe me; I know that I am no piece of cake. After all, I must unfortunately, live inside my own head—for me, that makes 27 years with a great guy like Jack seem a cake walk. I can’t imagine what it must be like for someone on the outside who can’t envision my convoluted reasoning to stick with it over the years.

For the first twenty years, we never spent so much as a night apart. Then for the last seven we have spent many weeks apart due to his changed travel schedule and economic necessity. Once again, on this anniversary, he is all the way across the country. Maybe certain people are meant to get together even if they have to cut the jigsaw parts to fit, or like Jack hide the last pieces of the jigsaw puzzle in his pockets so that he can put in the final pieces. What a control freak!

Somehow we managed to raise a wonderful son who has profited from our odd quirks rather than suffered from them. Thank God. It could easily have gone the other way. Now we have to figure out how to live together again, just me and Jack, and two old dogs that think I’m THEIR wife.

In any case, we all have lessons to learn in this life and I sincerely believe that’s how and why we find each other.

I’m very, very glad that we did.

Happy 27th, Jack-a-roon!

10 Comments:

At 3:57 AM , Blogger Perry said...

Happy 27th to you both. Remember if you were exactly alike, one of you would be unnecessary. It's nice to know that intergalactic alliances can work out.

 
At 7:48 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

A very nice remembrance of your marriage and partnership with Jack. I think there are many potential partners for all of us, but I thing they all play out similarly.

Differences that compliment, similarities that abrade. Good times, bad times. I think your message was an affirmation of what partnerships between humans are about.

It was a loving statement, rich with understanding and acceptance.
The test of a relationship is the offspring; if they come out good, then you know the chemistry of the parents was complimentary.

David was lucky to have you two as parents.

Now if you could just win the lottery.

 
At 9:23 PM , Blogger Candy Rant said...

Damn. Gail, that was a masterpiece. I was just awestruck reading it. Seriously, really excellent essay.

 
At 11:49 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

Aren't Sundays a blast. A wonderful day for ruminating about the crap that is coming up next week--mostly stuff you don't want to do or that you have done ad nauseam.

My cousin and her husband are my age and have been retired for 10 years. They spend most of their time in France and Switzerland, but since he retired from Delta they can go anywhere they want--and they do.

I love to hear her talk about the 2 weeks in a farmhouse in Provence or hiking in the Alps. Wine and cheese in Cannes, then off to Monte Carlo for some roulette and champaign.

They have been to every continent and every country and city that has a name. Those who have the resources to live life to the fullest--do; the rest of us blog.

 
At 1:09 PM , Blogger Gail said...

And how sad and depressing is that!! I think an evening with them would end with my hands around the throat of the one I could most easily overpower. But I'm not bitter, really.

 
At 4:03 PM , Blogger Candy Rant said...

I would also feel compelled to strangle them.

I hate my job. I am in debt. I hate Sundays.

Just wanted to go on record.

 
At 4:46 PM , Blogger Gail said...

In order to avoid the worst of Monday, I actually worked today! It makes no sense, but now I've finished an article that I would have had to write tomorrow. What's the diff? I haven't a clue! I've spent the last two weeks in the house with two canines and barely any human company, so one day blends into the next; but now tomorrow may be less a Monday and more of a Blunday. (In fact, wouldn't that be a better name? Or perhaps, Glumday, Mumday, Crumbday, Dumbday, or Chumday?) You see what chronic isolation will do to the human mind?!

 
At 4:55 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

I agree with you ladies. I know that I am on the cusp of something pathological when I begin to dislike others specifically because they are having a good time and I'm not.

I used to think that envy and jealously were petty, sniveling, small minded personality defects until I found myself experiencing these feelings; now I'm certain of it.

Here is Fats Dominoe's perspective on Monday:

Blue Monday how I hate Blue Monday
Got to work like a slave all day
Here come Tuesday, oh hard Tuesday
I'm so tired got no time to play

Here come Wednesday, I'm beat to my socks
My gal calls, got to tell her that I'm out
'Cause Thursday is a hard workin' day
And Friday I get my pay

Saturday mornin', oh Saturday mornin'
All my tiredness has gone away
Got my money and my honey
And I'm out on the stand to play

Sunday mornin' my head is bad
But it's worth it for the time that I had
But I've got to get my rest
'Cause Monday is a mess

 
At 1:24 PM , Blogger Jerry said...

Did Jack read this? And if he did, what did he say?

 
At 1:38 PM , Blogger Gail said...

He's still in Washington state, but he finally read it on Sunday. He called and told me that he loved it and that it was right on target.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home