Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Early Morning Riser

I am by nature a night owl, so when somebody tells me I can interview them at 6 a. m. I emit a silent groan. I was recently hired to interview a gentleman in the Midwest for a profile piece, and I asked his assistant for an additional contact—a friend or business acquaintance who might add some comments about the fellow. She sent me a name and number and told me I should call the man as early as 6 a. m. Groooaaan. I negotiate for 8 a.m. When do these early risers go to bed? Probably at 7:30 p.m. so they can get a jumpstart on torturing us folk whose circadian rhythms doom us to put up with Early Bird Special people.

So Jack gave me this alarm clock for Christmas. (He’s a morning person.) I can’t figure out how to set the thing AND it’s fifteen minutes fast, so I asked him to reset his clock for 7 a. m. (that's Eastern Standard Time) before he leaves for work in the morning. He does so, and places it on my nightstand, but he also sets my clock for the same. Therefore, my alarm clock jars me awake, from a not good night’s sleep. My pug roamed about and over me throughout the night as though I was a challenging mountain range. I dreamed about an appointment I had for coffee with writer friend Kimberly scheduled for later in the day.

The dream was full of the Sturm and Drang of my usually dreary nightly visions—terrorists, robbers, misunderstandings, late arrivals, some sort of a jumping mouse that I was trying to tame, a Malamute puppy, ridicule, my older sister and her friends (more ridicule), an annoying man with a giant cookie at an adjacent table (hmm), a history book, discovering that I had arrived at the appointment without a blouse, and so on. You know, the regular frustration fare.

Anyway, since my newly working alarm went off and I know the clock is fast, I hit snooze only to find that the snooze allows me a mere two extra minutes before sounding again, but I persist. Then the other clock goes off. Its snooze gives me three minutes. After a span of time recreating Chucky Cheese’s Gopher in the Hole game with the clocks, I decide to heck with it and get up. Drearily I pour a cup of coffee; soggily I arrange my notes for the interview; with exhaustion I pull up the interview number on my e-mail.

Wait a minute! I look at the area code. That doesn’t look like Ohio. Damn it to hell! This guy is in California! I have to wait three more hours to call him!

And another day begins.

9 Comments:

At 2:31 PM , Blogger Jerry said...

The time zone thingy can drive you nuts. I've made many a mistake scheduling across zones.

 
At 8:52 PM , Blogger Candy Rant said...

You and I have some serious things in common with our nightmares. Holy crap. And almost the same collection of themes.

This is one of my favorites of your posts.

 
At 8:53 PM , Blogger Candy Rant said...

Oh, and I laughed out loud at the annoying man with the giant cookie.

 
At 6:06 AM , Blogger Gail said...

Thanks Candy! To make matters worse, when I finally called the guy, he was in Michigan and the number I had was his cell phone! Oh well. If you're a nightmare person, I'm sure we could share some stories. Some of mine are incredibly gruesome and psychologically horrifying. I've had them since I can remember. As for the man with the giant cookie, I didn't relate that it was a lemon cookie. Yikes. : )

 
At 9:35 AM , Blogger Candy Rant said...

Gail...We ARE kindred spirits. I've had nightmares all the way back since I can remember, too. And they're almost always violent or devastating or filled with grief. I've been to 2 sleep clinics, tried many, many drugs, and nothing ever changes it. Occasionally, going to bed earlier and getting up earlier has helped. I thought SURE that getting up uber early for this job would help, but it hasn't. It is absolutely draining, as I'm sure you know.
Lately, mine have involved flying on planes that have had the wings knocked off. I have random celebs in mine also. Last night I dreamed I was having an affair with Donald Trump. It was foul.
What have you tried for yours?

 
At 10:10 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

I don't think you girls are drinking enough, or maybe you have been invaded by an evil spirit that visits you when you are asleep.

Have you tried an exorcism?

Maybe you are not eating enough fat. Lard often corrects sleep disorders.

Deep fried foods, buttered bread, fatty pork--sweet dreams.

 
At 1:03 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Candy, Donald Trump, that is a nightmare! Unless you woke up covered in money. I don't know that I've tried anything other than staying awake all the time :) The up side is that every once in a while I have some really fantastic dreams, but most of them are, as you say, on the down side, and yes, they can affect you negatively for the rest of the day. I read once that car dreams symbolize how you visualize the amount of control you have over your life, which would explain why I often dream of driving a car at high speeds stuck in reverse! That plane sounds very symbolic of your present angst over losing vital parts of your life. Right, just call me Madam Freud. Jerry, your comment reminds me of a comment that Charlie Sheen made on a sitcom when somebody told him to have sweet dreams. "There's no dreaming in a blackout, you idiot!" This is very true, but there's also not very good sleeping :) And being even fatter--oh that will help--Not!

 
At 5:56 PM , Blogger Candy Rant said...

DAMN! That's a great translation, with the plane wings.

 
At 6:15 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Candy, You can also talk to me at dgail01@mindspring.com. re: the madness of dreams, etc.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home