Friday, August 17, 2007

Barker and Bradbury--the Lethal Cocktail

One should know that one is in trouble if one’s eyes well-up when someone wins a BRAND NEW CAAHR! on “The Price is Right.” Oh no, I’m not talking about myself; it’s just a general warning. Actually, I am speaking of myself. About two weeks ago, I came upon the old show with Bob Barker that plays every week day at 11:00 a. m. I may have watched it occasionally, when I was a kid, but I was certainly never one of those rabid fans who run to the front, jumping and shrieking like speed freaks with handmade T-shirts acclaiming a lifelong love for Bob.

However, I’ve got to say that I watched it that day, and found myself floating into a, how do I describe it, feeling of euthanized bliss. It was so nostalgic, so unchanging, so unthreatening. I was back in the fifties again, in a world where the most stress came from not knowing the exact price of Johnson's Baby Oil. I became fascinated that the women hostesses of the show, even in this day and age, are willing to humiliate themselves in such cheezy setups for the showcases, pantomiming shticks that would embarrass even Red Buttons. Is it even possible that a time existed when a person made an entire “career” using that name? Then there’s Red Skelton and Soupy Sales, of course.

So I was mesmerized.

Then the next day, intolerably frustrated, my heart pounding as my deadlines crashed upon me and I made no progress, I turned the show on again. At first, I laughed at the silliness of it all. But, now I relax and hope with all of my heart that the contestants, who are so frenetically excited and willing to kiss the cadaverous Bob, (do they give them some sort of illegal cocktail?) will win that smaltzy gift of a new dinette set and a trip to Canada. I have begun to bid competitively, and shout out, “No you idiot!” I love the way the contestants hug one another and cheer each other on. It’s very sad really, now that I put it into words. But I watch it nonetheless. I find it oddly calming, though I’m sure it’s only a passing phase, a mere Bandaid to my malaise. I’m very ADD.

One day I missed the show when one of those pesky business calls involving work interrupted my regular schedule, and discovered, it’s almost unbelievable, a parody of the show on “Mad TV.” In the skit, an elderly woman told Bob that with his tan skin and white hair, he almost looked like a negative. I watched it anyway—an unsatisfactory fix for my new daily habit, like methadone for heroine. I want the pure stuff!

During this summer’s intense heat wave, the non-ending, but poorly paying work, the endless pressure of debt, elderly animals, and the encroachment of age, I’ve chosen to read Ray Bradbury’s, “The October Country,” a collection of short stories that make you want to slit your throat, (or eerily someone else’s), except for the fact that his descriptions make the prospect of death even more horrifying than his depictions of deplorable life in this banal existence. The writing is incredible. I don’t recommend it!

So for some reason, as I muddle through the South’s Dog Days, I turn to Bob and his prizes. Oh shut up about the taxes that winners must pay and Barker's publicized chauvinism. I’m escaping for now and crossing my fingers that the next contestant from Wisconsin wins “A BRAND NEW CAAHR!!”

8 Comments:

At 8:34 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

A very nice piece IMHO. I liked the style, which seems a bit more narrative, reflective...felt more like I was inside your head than some of the other pieces.

I can't exactly pinpoint (God I hate that word) the nuances that have made this different, but it seems like it would fit into your book well.

Many of your other adventures are episodes--events--that have a punch line. This was more distributive, more imagery--more evocative.

It reinforces (God I hate this word too) my feeling that you can do Seinfeld humor as well as Laurel and Hardy. Watch out Erma Bombeck, there's a new humorist incubating.

 
At 9:26 AM , Blogger Gail said...

Thanks Jerry! Since I have always been punished (there's another one of those behavioral words:) for showing any of the many emotions except for humor, I tend to only let the dark stuff out in bits and pieces, often clothed in sarcasm. As for getting inside my head, I would suggest only peeking through a crack in the door and venturing no further. It can get pretty strange if you venture further. Believe me, I've been there:)

 
At 10:34 AM , Blogger Candy Rant said...

Great post. Bob Barker cadaverous? No way, dude. He's still handsome. Please let me look that good at his age.

Let out the dark stuff. The world wants to see it. It makes us feel less alone.

I totally feel your pain about the low pay, pressure, elderly animals.

 
At 11:17 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

Gail,

Most of us have problems dealing with our emotions and those of others. I always hid behind sarcasm, intellectualizing and rationalizations. For me, the problem is not about expressing ones emotions--its healthy, but it often makes you squirm...you know, like lets have a love-in and express ourselves squirm.

The problem for me is recognizing my feelings--sorting them out from the anxious, depressed, stressed out feelings.

You cant talk to your spouse about all this stuff--they dont want to hear it, and even if are willing to listen, who knows what effect listening to doubts, fears, anxieties, and such will have on your relationship.

Its best to have these types of discussions with friends who themselves are working through their lives, passages, doubts and existential/metaphysical/spiritual/
psychological, vocational, interpersonal issues.

I wish I lived next door to you or Candy or someone who I could talk to without risk. My next door neighbor is about 80 and if he read one of my blogs he would probably become frightened and shoot me.

 
At 7:12 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Hey, I've not had problems in recognizing the feelings, just dealing with them. If we all lived next door ... that would be great! We might not accomplish anything, but oh the conversations. Oh well, call me!

 
At 6:49 AM , Blogger Candy Rant said...

We might not get anything done if we lived in the same neighborhood. OR, we might become the world's greatest thinktank. :)

 
At 9:33 AM , Blogger Gail said...

QOD,
You are too kind, because truthfully, I think your writing is much better than mine. Just look at your readership. You have more comments on one piece than I have on my entire blog!

 
At 12:49 PM , Blogger Jerry said...

Why don’t you three ladies use your talents synergistically? “The View” has a great many viewers who are interested in seeing 4 women trade anecdotes, sarcasms, and cynical observations about life, people, politics, and other celebrities.

You can put together a composite blog. The content would consist of your alternating opinions about life, love, happiness, husbands, children, the government, social problems, zany life adventures and such. Your different perspectives could be blended—you could work off of each others humorous strengths.

Maybe you could use a male like me as a foil and use my opinions as a “he said/they said” kind of dynamic. Gail knows how to rip me a new one. She catches me pontificating, dramatizing, exaggerating, posturing and posing and eviscerates me fairly frequently --not that there’s anything wrong with that.

You could name the blog something like, “Three Broads and a Bum,” or “The Women’s Room,” or “The Group,” or “Brilliant Women” or “The Sybils of Suburbia.” You ladies are creative, come up with something.

Take any subject and start exchanging email opinions then edit the emails into an episode. Put some zing in there; kick men in the cods and back stab other women.

Have some, “you think your husband is a slob, listen to this…” or, “Did you see Rosie O’Donnell on the “Tonight Show?” I saw a Baby Ruth sticking out of her purse and her lips were dark chocolate colored. My husband found my stash the other day and I blamed it on….

I am suggesting this, because I love catty humor, sarcasm, word-play, and man-baiting. You ladies have the stuff. Plus, I love to say pedagogical, pedantic, puffed up things and have Gail attack:).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home