Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Survival Skills

David made it out of the Cahutta Wilderness intact. At one point, he and his three hiking companions inadvertently punctured an underground bees’ nest and were attacked by the swarm. They wisely ran! Since he tends to be allergic, I admonished David about how dangerous the situation could have become. They had no Benedryl and all received multiple stings. Yet, his main focus seemed to be to abstain from killing one of his best friends since grammar school. “I swear if he called us ‘gents’ one more time, I might have beheaded him,” he told me—not big on tolerance this one. Then there was the fact that the same friend snores like, as he put it, “a moose on a respirator.” It’s true; I’ve heard him, but I love him like my own, nevertheless.

David got severe blisters, not from his hiking boots, but from his water shoes while trekking through the falls. Believe me, those things can do some major damage. After hiking across Canada and the Western U. S. for about three months in my hippy-dippy years, I quickly decided I was done with the camping thing. It was over for me for a variety of reasons. My dad, who survived four years of WWII in the deserts, always said he would never set foot in a campsite again. Undergoing pitifully less rigorous standards, I quickly understood his position after only a paltry few months of doing it on my own. At one point, having not seen myself in a mirror for several weeks, I panicked when I saw the strange markings on my neck reflected in a crude campground shower mirror. I decided that I had skin cancer, dramatic youth that I was, until I ran my finger across my skin and discovered that it was dirt and I was simply filthier than I had ever been in my life.

So I asked my son, after his three days of hiking during the hottest, most ill-timed season of the year for such a quest. “So what did you think of the experience overall?”

“Well,” he said, in his deep, thoughtful voice. “As I lay there in the tent, listening to the night sounds, and thinking about all of the things we had seen and done, I said to myself, ‘To hell with this!’”

That’s my baby.

6 Comments:

At 3:49 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

It's unanimous then...nature is wonderful as long as you keep your distance. Amazing pictures of nature--the Amazon rain forests, the Smoky Mountains, Costa Rica's ecotourist havens--you never see the bugs.

But, they are there. Ready to pounce on you, crawl into your shirt, pants or shoes--ready to bite and rend. That's not even considering all those legs.

I make it an objective to never sleep with anything that has more than 4 legs.

 
At 12:12 PM , Blogger Candy Rant said...

HA! I agree, Jerry. Screw nature. At least up close. Give me an Ansel Adams book any day.

"A moose on a respirator" is hilarious. And I got a good laugh out of your young hippy-girl self being terrified by the dirt on your neck. At least you were brave enough to do the hike in the first place. Me? Not so much.

 
At 5:10 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

Is it a bad sign if, when you've fallen, you don't want to get up?

 
At 9:22 AM , Blogger Gail said...

It probably is a bad sign, Jerry, but I can completely relate...which is also probably a bad sign.

 
At 9:42 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

It's not that I'm lazy, you see...it's just that I have no motivation. I need an incentive.

Maybe if someone tied a bottle of gin to a string and pulled it along in front of me I would get up--or maybe crawl a bit.

Maybe some french fries would get me moving. Perhaps some brilliant behavior analyst could reinforce me for moving my leg a bit and start the shaping process--eventually getting me to a sitting position, then encouraging me to pull myself up.

Later, someone would ask me, "did you drag yourself up?" and I could say, "Oh no, I just dressed casual."

 
At 9:48 AM , Blogger Gail said...

I'm supposed to be writing more drivel. Yet, as my deadlines rapidly approach I'm watching a squirrel that is reclined on my deck eating sunflower seeds. At first I thought he might be injured, but then realized he's just too lazy to stand. Must be the heat.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home