Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Personal Shopper

Big sister (and I say that quite loosely) Lynn, a.k.a. “Hell on Wheels” is in for a big challenge. The shortster is undergoing a foot operation tomorrow and is being forced off her feet for a solid week before she can even transition to crutches for the duration of the next month. This would be difficult for anyone, but for someone like Lynn . . . well, let’s just say it ain’t going to be pretty. She can’t even delegate the job of pouring dog food into a bowl to someone else. She actually once accused me of attempting to control her life when I tried to do the same while visiting. Hell, the dogs were hungry and they didn’t give a damn if she hadn’t wiped the counter clean for the umpteenth time. Even though Lynn has a housekeeper who goes so far as to sanitize the walls once a week, Lynn can never stop cleaning. I also must say that she’s a very smart cookie, and literally runs the highly successful family business, along with everything else.

I took my Mom to meet Lynn halfway for a sojourn to her beautiful mountain home. Mom is staying with her for the first post-op week and I’ve gotta say that Mom looked more than a bit “trepidatious.” Love her, but Lynn is not what one would call “laid back” even in her finest moments. “May the force be with her,” sister Jennifer said, referring to Mom's predicament. After a much delayed lunch, (we were to meet at 1:30 and Lynn showed up at the rendezvous two hours later), mixed with criticism for my every move, including being weird for not liking raw tomatoes and exceedingly strange for laughing at one of my own jokes (somebody has to), they departed.

A visit to the tranquil Georgia mountains at Lynn’s house can be entertaining, but never soothing. Hey, if you want rest and relaxation go scuba diving naked with angry sharks! Lynn spends a lot of time yelling up the stairs at the boys, out the door at the boys, everywhere at the dogs, usually at me, in the car at the boys, and then some more at the boys. Threats are bountiful; consequences nil—the only reason that I continue to live and the main reason she must continue to yell even more loudly and frequently at my nephews in her large and cavernously echoing home. When there are threatening moments of calm, the boys fill such potentially relieving nanoseconds with their own yelling.

So I wish them all the best. Lynn had to rent a pair of child-size crutches. (Tee-hee.) So sue me, I think that’s funny.

I returned to my quiet home, still alone except for the dogs for company, and thought about how I love Lynn, my lifetime tormentor, and how I hope and pray that all goes well. Then I got on the Internet and ordered the perfect gift to arrive at her home just as she clears her anesthesia-induced fog—a bull horn! It’s the gift that will keep on giving. I’m sure of it!

6 Comments:

At 5:00 PM , Blogger Candy Rant said...

Did you REALLY order her a bullhorn??? HA!

She sounds like she needs a visit from Super Nanny about all that pointless yelling. Nobody pays attention after the threats are empty a couple of times.

Child size crutches? Dat girl IS short.

 
At 5:44 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Yes, I did order the bull horn complete with batteries. It should arrive shortly. Pardon the pun:) She is really great. Hopefully if she ever reads this, she'll know I'm just giving her a hard time in retaliation, but the chances that she'll ever read anything I've ever written. Again NIL! :)

 
At 5:41 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

I don't have any personal prejudice against the vertically challenged, but if you really want to gig her good, present her with a copy of the lyrics from Randy Newman's song "Short People.


Short People got no reason
Short People got no reason
Short People got no reason
To live

They got little hands
And little eyes
And they walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet

Well, I don't want no Short People
Don't want no Short People
Don't want no Short People
Round here

Short People are just the same
As you and I
(A Fool Such As I)
All men are brothers
Until the day they die
(It's A Wonderful World)

Short People got nobody
Short People got nobody
Short People got nobody
To love

They got little baby legs
And they stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time
Well, I don't want no Short People
Don't want no Short People
Don't want no Short People
'Round here

 
At 5:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is.....poor Mom.

 
At 7:53 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

You haven't blogged in so long, I'm beginning to worry about you. Whazzzzupppp?

 
At 8:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home