Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Christmas Cheer

My cousin, Diana, came up for a short visit this weekend. In retrospect, it’s a good thing that the visit was short because we tend to view get-togethers as a mandate to replace our bodily fluids with wine, especially during the holidays. We tried three times to watch a movie called Dangerous Beauty (which I had seen before) about a famous Venetian courtesan and poet. The first night after much wine and some dine, I watched over half of it, but Diana fell asleep on the sofa, so the next night (under the same circumstances--hair of the dog) we tried again. This time I jostled her a few times and said, “This is an important part.” She mumbled that she was watching, but her eyes were closed which made that possibility unlikely, so I turned it off. The next morning I told my sleeping beauty cousin that I could now get a part in the stage play version of the movie because I had watched it enough to memorize the lines. She said, “Can we watch the rest of it this morning?”

“Okay,” I said. “Can you remember where you were when we turned it off?” (I meant at which point in the movie.)

“Yes,” she replied. “I was on the sofa.”

1 Comments:

At 5:21 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

In Junior High School (middleschool now) in Tampa, Florida physical education was mandatory. Every day we had to change into shorts and put on tennis shoes and do exercise and play seasonal sports.

I hated it. I was not good at sports (except basketball)and showering with 100 guys was not one of favorite things to do.

We used to have to line up on numbered squares on the basketball courts so the coach could come by and check to make sure we had not skipped class. If you were not "dressed out," you had to have a doctor's note or a good excuse.

I did not feel well on this particular day (I was a sickly child), so I was in my regular school clothes. We were facing into the rising sun and I could not see at all. I was squinting and I had my hand up to me eyes trying to look at the coach who was directly in front of me.

"What's wrong with you," he asked.
"The sun is in my eyes." I said.
"No, bananna man. I mean why are you malingering?" (he was not sympathetic to my distaste for athletics).

Communications between humans--I am uncertain about other species--is an imperfect thing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home