Friday, November 10, 2006

Pass the Ketchup Please

I was about seven years old and in a restaurant with my parents and sisters when I noticed something about the condiment dispensers. Back in the 60s a lot of restaurants had the red and yellow ketchup and mustard dispensers. A waitress in an apron was printed on the side, but this is what made my mind squirm. She was holding a tray up in the air with one hand, and on that tray sat a mustard or ketchup dispenser with a picture of the same waitress who was holding a tray that had a picture of the same waitress… “Hey everybody, this picture goes on and on forever!” I shouted, and of course I was interrupting. “Don’t you see? This waitress picture never stops!” A brief moment of possibly concerned silence followed and then my parents continued their conversation. I couldn’t believe that this was of no interest to them whatsoever. They just slightly raised their eyebrows as if to say, “Let’s not encourage her sharing these kinds of things.” It worked. I grew up to be somewhat crazy quite independently thank you very much! Once in a while I still think about those waitresses holding that tray into infinity. I haven’t been able to find those types of condiment containers anymore…probably because they held a key to the secrets of the universe, I broke the code, and they had to be “dispensed” of immediately.

9 Comments:

At 2:35 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Thanks gofd!

 
At 5:04 PM , Blogger Tim Williams said...

Isn't this the same idea?- When you're in the television section of an electronics store and there's a camera on you in front of a television that's showing you on the television. That image of you and the television goes on forever too.....

I think I just blew my own mind......

 
At 5:13 PM , Blogger Gail said...

TK,
It was blown long ago, but thanks for the example.

 
At 5:22 PM , Blogger Tim Williams said...

No charge Gail-y....

Don't make me call you a Maracon...or whatever obscure derogatory term I can find....

I've always wanted to insult someone in a dead language....

 
At 5:22 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Quit yer braggin'! I've always had nightmares from which Jack woke me up saying I sounded like a wounded animal. The other night I dreamed that he woke me up from a nightmare but I only dreamed it. I AM the waitress on the ketchup bottle.

 
At 5:27 PM , Blogger Tim Williams said...

Okay, now you're freakin' me out. How many of these musings on this blog are real and how many are fantasies spun by you when you're in a possible Nyquil-induced netherworld?

Hmmmmmm?

 
At 5:31 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Sadly, they're all real. I quit taking Nyquil when they took out the ingredients and I just started dreaming about scrolling numbers all night. Also, they didn't make Nyquil in the 60s. But then of course, they didn't need it. So many other better things to choose from.

 
At 8:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Puleez TK. I am the maricón/maricona/etc etc. And here in Mexico, Spanish is alive and well.

BTW Gail, I am placing a link to your site on mine (hint, hint.) Cheers all! Or should I say, ¡hasta la pasta, masta!

 
At 6:02 AM , Blogger Gail said...

I am technologically (among other ways) dysfunctional! I've been trying to add links to my blog to no avail. But I do plan to do this thing! I will figure it out!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home