Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Christmas Memories:)

We were lucky kids, comparatively. My parents didn’t have much money, but don’t get me wrong, everything’s relative. However, no matter how you live, certain things set your mind as to who you are and what you’re worth. One year my older sister and I both got bikes for Christmas. My parents didn’t have a lot of money but we both got bikes! That would have been great except for one thing. My dad took my sister under his arm and pointed out the writing on the side of her bicycle. “That says Husky,” he said, as he ran his finger under the letters. “That’s the best bicycle you can get.” I suppose back then that this was the truth. I looked at my bike and it didn’t say Husky.

On another Christmas this same sister received the most beautiful bride doll I had ever seen. I had a doll that looked like Chucky’s bride. I didn’t say a word, but years later we were viewing those old, grainy home movies and I said, “There’s Lynn’s beautiful bride doll and that doll of mine with one eye the size of a quarter and the other the size of a dime, and hair sticking out in every direction.” My parents cracked up. “Dad won that thing at a fair the week before Christmas,” Mom said.

Oh well. Thanks a mil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home