Sunday, February 18, 2007

Screwing with Vanity Fair

Vanity Fair (VF), the intellectually pompous, well-written, so-full-of-ads-they-have-to-put-the- letters-on-page-172 (or thereabouts) publication: yes, I’ll admit to reading it. I don’t always agree with the politics presented, but then I don’t always read those articles. Some of the true crime, and bios, book reviews, and so on are fantastic, but I don’t necessarily read every piece or always get the magazine, and that’s how this one thing started to bug me.

The first time I read the word “zeitgeist” in VF, I didn’t know what it meant, so being the dweeb that I can be, I looked it up.

zeitgeist: the spirit of the time; general trend of thought or feeling characteristic of a particular period of time.

Well, I thought, sort of a sissy-pants word to use, but it’s VF, so I moved on. The thing is that sometimes I saw this word several times in an issue and I wasn’t even reading the whole thing. Then I’d get a new issue and there was that word again. It started to really irritate me. What kind of group think, smug, pretentious people would continue to use this word like it’s a common noun in conversation? I started envisioning them walking around in little bowties and saying things like, “Is everyone eating Thai food for lunch? It’s the best thing there is. At least that’s the zeitgeist for Thursday.”

I’d be having a perfectly enjoyable read and there it was again, like someone jumping out from behind a door and yelling, “ZEITGEIST! You’re it!” I loathed it and I knew it was coming every time I read the DAMN MAGAZINE!! To calm my demons, I finally wrote a letter to VF asking them with sarcasm if they had ever printed an issue without the word or if it was their intellectual version of Where’s Waldo lurking somewhere in the pages. Was there a contest I didn’t know about, because if there was, I surely should be the winner. Of course, they didn’t publish the letter, but months later I was reading a section at the end of the letters called “More from the V.F. Mailbag” and the magazine spoke to me: “Has Vanity Fair ever published an issue that did not contain the word ‘Zeitgeist?’ Well, Gail Snyder of Woodstock, Georgia, this might have been the one—until you came along.”

I kid you not. I think they were a little cranky that I pointed this out, but I’d had my say at least. Maybe some of them didn’t even use the word in their snooty conversations for a day, I liked to imagine. That would have been the end of my strange little episode, but three months later, while reading the same section I was shocked to read this: “I cannot be the first to note that Ms. Snyder of Georgia chastises V.F. in the March Mailbag for overuse of the word ‘Zeitgeist’ and receives somewhat of a prickly response, yet her claim is validated later in the same issue (page 214, column three, paragraph two). What delicious delight for Ms. Snyder!”

Something tells me that this isn’t over; at least that’s the ZEITGEIST of my multiple personalities for this period of time today.

10 Comments:

At 7:50 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

Why use an English word when a foreign language can be substituted?

I love the way TV journalists (is that an oxymoron?) are so prone to repeat a popular word.

"Embedded" makes me nauseous from overuse as does "iconic." Everyone with any resolve wants to "stay the course."

"Sturm und drang" used to be a favored expression of the litterateurs. In fact, any French word or expression was considered to add sophistication to the content.

I wonder if the French use the expression “cowboy up” or “all hat and no cattle” when they want to create a machismo tone to their content—or maybe when they want to appear to be uneducated.

You know, like George doublyah.

 
At 8:26 AM , Blogger Gail said...

I could retire if I had a dollar for every time a television journalist said, "And then, something went terribly wrong."

 
At 10:25 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:27 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

If I were writing my autobiography, it would begin--

I was born in Atlanta in 1943, and then something went terribly wrong.

 
At 1:36 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Love it! Now that you've started your autobiography, I think you should finish it.

 
At 8:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Along those same lines: I wish I had a nickel for each time someone saying the prayer before any luncheon, dinner, banquet, pot luck, etc saïd "just". "Lord, we just ask Your blessings....", "Father God, please just grace us with...", "Lord, just give us...".

I'm sorry. Does the word "just" in this context not mean we ask only one, not multiple requests?

And does the person delivering the prayer stop with one request? No. of course not. There seem to be lots of "justs".

"Just" ONE opinion.

 
At 7:50 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

I forgot "uber." Uber is being used a lot these days. I don't know why someone has not used uberzeitgeist in a sentence.

German seems to be the "in" language these days. World politics seems to have a German tone. If we attack a few more countries to protect the faderland, then maybe Hillary Clinton can be elected and declare peace in our time.

I think Gordon Liddy has the right idea. He has softened up in his old age and now says that we should only nuke the Arabs, Chinese, and anyone who protests against doing so.

I say nuke the Russians too. Knocking down one wall doesn't mean they don't have some WMDs hidden somewhere. I don't trust them. They are uber-sneaky.

 
At 9:09 AM , Blogger Gail said...

VF also loves the word "Schadenfreude" another German word roughly meaning taking pleasure from another's misfortunes. So I guess when they were caught using zeitgeist again I felt a bit of Schadenfreude.

 
At 2:37 PM , Blogger Jerry said...

O.K., I'll admit to experiencing a bit of schadenfreude when my enemies have bad times. Unfortunately, sometimes we can only define our circumstances in terms of those around us. If our competitors are doing worse than we are--schadenfreude.

I think it's only human unless we are uber-schadenfreude; an excess that is devoutly to be avoided.

 
At 3:25 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Very true, but something tells me that the experience of uber-schadenfreude is the zeitgeist of this century.

And to Ray in Macon, I can only say that I just ask that VF just limit the word zeitgeist, and just limit uber, and just limit schadenfreude in their copy. Amen!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home