Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Bookmobility

I’m not that into fiction anymore, so I had never read any John Grisham. Then Jack gave me “An Innocent Man” Grisham’s first work of non-fiction. I thought it was pretty good, though it made me very sad. Long-time friend and funny person, Tim, gave me John Stewart’s “America: A Citizen’s Guide to Democracy Inaction.” I laughed and laughed, until about halfway through it I spotted Tom Brokaw’s “The Greatest Generation” on my bookshelf. Hey, didn’t I almost finish that and then forget about it for some reason? My late father served in WWII. I finished it and cried and cried. Then I once again picked up Stewart’s tongue-in-cheek take on American history and laughed and laughed. However, I got busy, put it down, and then about a week later, while at the local library, I was inexplicably drawn to the book “The Burning Bed.” (I told Jack not to take it personally, but the next day he had to go out of town: coincidence?) I couldn’t put that tale of torture and abuse down; finished it off in about two days and cried at the end. I want to read a book about the scientific examination of the origins of and mankind's need for God, or something like that, that good friend Jerry keeps talking about, but every time I write the title down on a piece of paper I lose it, then forget about it. Now, I’m finishing up Stewart’s book and I’m just laughin’!

You know, sometimes a tendency for manic depression coupled with a healthy dose of ADD can have its good points: it encourages one to vary one’s reading materials, for example.

2 Comments:

At 4:51 AM , Blogger jerry.pounds said...

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

 
At 12:05 PM , Blogger Gail said...

No, I haven't read it, but it sounds like the perfect companion piece to The God Delusion. I think I'll order them both and feed my corresponding moods accordingly. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home