Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I Prefer Dr. Seuss

I’ve always loved The Book of Knowledge set that was my dad’s when he was a child. Printed in 1933, they are full of duotones and articles like “How to Eat” explaining chewing and the stomach and ink etchings of Daniel Boone. However, they also contain copy that I can’t believe people used to read to their kids. Here’s a poem from a section called “Little Verses for Very Little People,” accompanied by a very frightening illustration:

The Poor Babes in the Wood

My dear, do you know,
How a long time ago,
Two poor little children,
Whose names I don’t know,
Were stolen away on a fine summer’s day,
And left in a wood, as I’ve heard people say?

And when it was night,
So sad was their plight,
The sun it went down,
And the moon gave no light.
They sobbed and they sighed, and they bitterly cried,
And the poor little things, they lay down and died.

And when they were dead,
The robins so red
Brought strawberry-leaves,
And over them spread. [Where were these robins when the babes needed them?]
And all the day long
They sung them this song:
“Poor babes in the wood! Poor babes in the wood!
And don’t you remember the babes in the wood?”

Okay Johnny and Susie. Goodnight and sweet dreams! Wow, this puts a whole new spin on the Great Depression.

1 Comments:

At 6:31 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

Before music was entertainment, it was rhymthic, lyrical history. Originating among the common folk, it mirrored the circumstances of their lives. Not pretty stuff sometimes.

You will remember this one from the movie, "Raising Arizona." Holly Hunter sings part of this Irish ballard to Nathan, Jr.

It has been sung by everyone--Bill Munroe, miscellaneous blue grassers, Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead and Art Garfunkel.

It is the ballard of Rose Connelly and it goes:

Down in the willow garden
My love and I did meet,
And as we sat a-courting
My love dropped off to sleep.
I'd had a bottle of burgundy wine
My young love did not know,
And there I murdered that dear little girl
Down by the banks below.
I drove my sabre through her,
A sharp and bloody knife.
I drowned her in the river,
It were an awful site.
My pappy always told me
That money would set me free
If I'd just murder that dear little girl
Whose name was Rose Connelly.
But now he darkens his own cottage door
And wipes his weepin' eyes,
A-gazing at his only son
Upon the gallows high.
For my race is run beneath the sun
And hell's a waiting for me
'Cos I done murdered that dear little girl
Whose name was Rose Connelly.
Yeah my race is run beneath the sun
And hell's a waiting for me
'Cos I done murdered that dear little girl
Whose name was Rose Connelly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home