Monday, January 22, 2007

The UNkindness of Strangers

I really need to break my habit of speaking to strangers especially since the South is now densely populated by people from those regions where they don’t appreciate the “kindness of strangers.” I was browsing around in a department store the other day and saw this little old lady with tight white hair trying to squash a Captain and Tennille sailor hat onto the top of her little-old-lady perm. I piped up, “You should buy that hat!” implying that it suited her. She turned around and snapped, “This IS my hat!”

“Oh well then good choice,” I replied and skulked away.

2 Comments:

At 3:57 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

Traditional British music hall song:

Where did you get that hat?
Where did you get that tile?
Isn't it a nobby one,
And just the proper style?
I should like to have one
Just the same as that!
Where'er I go they shout! "Hello!
Where did you get that hat?"
Joseph J. Sullivan, 1888

 
At 6:36 AM , Blogger Gail said...

Good song! I guess she wasn't English.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home