Friday, June 29, 2007

Driving Me Crazy!

Since Jack pulled his back out we made a ride into the North Georgia Mountains where my brother-in-law is a renowned chiropractor. No kidding, many people testify that he saved them from a life of pain. He even healed a little dachshund that, after being hit by a car, had two tiny wheels hoisting up its hind quarters. Wheels be gone! after only a few sessions and that little wiener dog is as good as new.

So Jack decides to make the drive up with his bad back. Yes, he has to have control of the wheel, even in extreme pain, which would be okay for a human being, but not for a being from a planet far, far away called Velocity. I’ve seen grown, burly men stagger from his vehicle with perspiration stains to their belt loops gasping, “Never again!” I view this as a testimony to my bravery and a defense to my verbal pleas to remain alive.

Picture yourself hurtling around a slim mountainous avenue at three times the safe m.p.h., and as your driver points out the beauty of the sheer drop-off view, he drives straight toward it! This is one of Jack’s driving habits. Granted, he grew up in the Smoky Mountains, driving like a he-devil; he’s worked on the pit crew of professional race car drivers, and he can build any car from the ground up. He also seems to will himself to believe that everyone on the road is going to do the sensible thing—bad idea. Most people trade in their cars when they tire of the model. Jack has someone total his old-hat autos. Jack was actually involved in accidents in which his vintage Porsche was totaled three times. He refurbished it every time, then sold it for a profit, being perfectly honest about its blighted past.

Anyway, as the scenery becomes one of those swirly paintings that kids make at country fairs, I glare straight ahead in the belief that doing so will somehow glue the wheels to the road. Velocity Man points out a scenic farm. “Oh God!” I dart my eyes in the direction that he’s pointing only to realize that we’re driving straight off the road and into it. “Aieee!” That’s close to the kind of dying animal sound I make as he swerves to miss a row of mailboxes, the tire goes off the shoulder, then we skid back onto the pavement. (By the way, he destroyed the right rear view mirror of my car in a similar venture.) “Damn it! Why do you have to do that?” he yells. “Because I want to look at the farm, not buy it,” I say between my permanently gritted teeth. I estimate that if we are strangely fortunate to reach senior status we will have this conversation at least 10,000 more times.

Now we pull off the road to grab something to tide us over at a fast food restaurant—Burger King. People think I’m exaggerating about the way Jack orders food, often resulting in multiple and erroneous items, until they experience the oddity themselves. We once drove through for a cup of coffee and received six cups of coffee and a small milk even though Jack and I were the only people in the car. “Let’s just get a couple of orders of onion rings and a drink since we’re going out later,” Jack says. Fine with me.

He pulls up. “I’ll have an order of chicken tenders and an order of onion rings, a tea and a diet coke. No, make that two orders of onion rings and a tea.”

The speaker: “So you don’t want the chicken tenders?”

“Yes, I do want them.”

“And the one drink?”

I remind him of the Diet Coke. He orders it and adds an ice tea with onion rings.

“So you want three onion rings, two ice teas, a Diet Coke, and chicken tenders?”

“No!” he rolls his eyes at me, like what’s wrong with this idiot.

We land up with one very large order of onion rings, two drinks, and a bag of about four “chicken tenders” shaped like little crowns.

“What the hell are these and where are the fries?” Jack asks incredulously.

“You didn’t order any fries.” At this point I’m laughing so hard that my Precious Pup raspy hissing evil laugh that I can’t control starts.

“I thought I ordered fries!”

“No, but lucky for you, I’ll share some of these onion rings.”

As I reach into my onion ring container, I discover one lone stubby French fry. “Oh, here’s that fry you ordered,” I say as I offer it to him.

He’s not even smiling, but as he tries to grab it, knocks it between the seats. “Now I’ve got a fry under the seats!” barks Mr. Wilson.

After the chiropractor visit, Jack tells me that he can now walk upright. “It’s a miracle!” he proclaims. It certainly is.

5 Comments:

At 4:32 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

You have a great sense of humor and a tolerance that providence did not feel necessary to provide me. I get squirmy and irritated when ordering at restaurants.

I always look at the menu, decide what I want, and present it in a clear and timely manner for the waitperson (who is usually busy and stressed). Others don't even look at the menu until the waitperson asks the question at which time they commence to browse the menu with no regard to the person standing above them--pencil poised to record their choice.

Then they begin the ordering process, the cynically anticipated stuttering, stammering back and forth ambivalence of considering one item--then another. I go nuts.

Because they have ordered in this staccato fashion, the order is usually confused and then there is the obligatory frustrating discussion about what they ordered and who made the mistake.

Now you can see why I am so miserable; even eating out is a ontological nightmare for me. Most of the other people at the table sleep, meditate or otherwise ignore all this while I am using minutes off the end of my life to get a burger and fries.

By the way, your description of riding with Jack reminded me of the movie, "Annie Hall." Remember the series of scenes where Woody visits her family (the grandmother is a "classic Jew hater"). Annie's brother, played by Christopher Walken corners Woody in his room and tells him that he often has a fantasy about committing suicide by swerving his car off the road impulsively. Then the brother winds up driving Woody and Diane Keaton to the train station in the rain.

Remember when they show them all in the front seat, the expression on Woody's face. That is the mental image I had when you described your ride.

 
At 8:24 AM , Blogger Gail said...

Well if you ever want to try aversion therapy, go dining with Jack. I hope I don't come off as derisive, because I think that he's brilliant, but that is paired with some hilarious quirks that people think I'm embellishing until they become witnesses.

He hates bleu cheese dressing, for example, and I love it. So I was amazed when he ordered bleu cheese dressing on his dinner salad. I asked "Are you sure you want bleu cheese?" He said he was sure.

As the waiter walked away, I said, "I thought you hated bleu cheese dressing." He said, "I do."

"Then why did you order it?"

"Did I?! Affirmative. This time my next-door-neighbor was with us, so I had a witness.

As Jack followed the waiter into the kitchen, she looked amazed. "He would have actually been very annoyed with the waiter for bringing the wrong salad dressing," I told her.

Once, he ordered the mild chicken wings and complained that they had no spiciness. The waitress reminded him that he had ordered the mild. "I thought it went medium, mild, hot" he replied. Stories abound.

 
At 8:59 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

Quirkiness in nice people is easily tolerated; in others, it can really be an irritant.

Dining out is a good topic for a book. I have eaten out with people who would first thing as the waiter, "Is the food good here?"

Then there are the men who feel obligated to flirt with the waitress--say something they think is humorous--even when it is obvious that she is very busy and stressed.

The folks that really grid my gears are the ones that order and then as they hand the waiter the menu, snatch it back just before it is in their hands and open it up again to reorder.

Finally, the substitution-happy customers who ask for outrageous substitutions: Instead of the soup and salad, can I have an extra steak?

 
At 6:29 PM , Blogger Gail said...

I call my friend, Jill, Sally (as in "When Harry Met Sally") because I've never had a meal with her when she hasn't substituted. Worse, is my Mom. By the time she's ordered with some of her questions: Is your cole slaw goopy? Is your potato soup gloppy? Are your eggs soupy? I've totally lost my appetite. My Dad was a hoot though. He always read the entire description off the menu when placing his order: "I'll have your succulent salmon, basted in a sweet soy sauce, surely the tenderest and most flavorful dish ever to come from the sea. Served with your choice of sides and fresh-baked bread, please." Gotta love him!

 
At 11:26 AM , Blogger Gail said...

Thanks Ms. Queen! I enjoy your posts as well; very good. How's that swimming going?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home