Thursday, July 27, 2006

Old Woman Needs Job

I get a speculation job on percentage of future sales for editing a book about suicide. This means that I have to be alive to collect reimbursement. There are signs everywhere.

@@@@@@@@@@@*****!!!!

My son sees that I have saved one of my files under the title FU. He begins to laugh even though I assure him that it stands for Florida University. It doesn’t.

@@@@@@@@@@@******!!!!

I answer a job posting that requires an innovative writing sample on a specific topic. I win an interview, one of few granted out of thousands of applications, but when I arrive my interviewer is less than half my age. We get along famously; he asks me for ideas, writes vigorously, and tells me he plans to use my innovative suggestions. Then he remarks in his naiveté’ that he really had a “young technogeek guy” in mind for the position. I bid farewell to all of the twenty-somethings in the office. I should have asked for my interviewer’s arm, or perhaps a wheelchair assist to my car.

@@@@@@@@@@@******!!!!

Another interview – I know I can do this one. It pays an entry-level wage and is 40 miles from my home but I just need to get my foot in the door, I tell myself. The interviewer is the owner, over 70 (to be kind), and very unfriendly. The company publishes free apartment and condo guides—requires loads of creativity like listing how many bathrooms and describing the toilet fixtures. He won’t even look at my writing samples, published articles, or credentials. He keeps yelling, “Show me some sizzle!” ala the phrase coined--in what?--the early 1900s?

I’m still trying to get over the fact that I was so desperately polite to this man.

(I didn’t get the job.)

1 Comments:

At 8:33 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

What’s a good job for a 64 yr old woman who is re-entering the job market after 3yrs?

Best Answer - a home health care worker, or a home health care aide. You can make much more by taking care of the elderly than you can flipping burgers. Temporary agencies hire CENA's all the time and nursing homes are in high demand of health care workers. Usually your local college offers a CENA course for $300 (and many nursing homes will pay for this course for you! plus ask the college about grants for women that they offer).

You can easily make $8 - $15 an hour depending on your area. Plus it's relatively easy work (physically speaking).

You just need a caring heart, and some patience. Other than that, you don't usually even need a High School diploma to get qualified.

Here's a general check list you might want to consider:

1. Forget getting ONE job, get more than one jobs => become an entrepreneur.
2. Give what you want to get...give employment...hire somebody to get you hired, for starters!!!
3. Post your resume online and seek out people that may have interesting assignments for you.
4. Being a woman is not a constraint...being 47 years old is also not one. Find out what you want to do, and go for it...don't look for what the world thinks is good for you...

Cheer up and good luck :)

For more good advice, please call 1-800-yur-skrd.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home