Thursday, July 13, 2006

Undercover Butt-in-skee

I really needed to get out of the house. I'd hit the wall on an article I was writing, so I decided to run a few errands. On my way down a semi-rural road, I passed a landfill that a well-propertied county family had opened a few months back. Just as I passed it, I noticed a pickup truck pulled over to the side of a small road to the right. The driver looked like he was asleep, but as I drove past I thought, “I sure hope that man didn’t have a heart attack.” Well, I dismissed it because I tend to think the worst.

On my way back about an hour later, I noticed that the man was still there “asleep” behind the wheel. I pulled into the next gas station/quickie mart and told the store clerk about the man. I noted that the road was near a store that the same people who had started the landfill owned. I then persuaded him to call the people at the store and get them to go and check on, hopefully, Rip Van Winkle. As he dialed the phone, I left because I had to pick up my son from school.

Several weeks later, Jack and I stopped in at the gas station/quickie mart. When the store clerk saw me he said, “You know that man you told me about? He was an undercover agent trying to bust that family for illegal dumping. When they went out there and asked him for some I.D. he was completely pissed. He’d been working on that case for weeks and you blew his cover!”

“Well I guess he shouldn’t have been sleeping on the job!” I joked.

We got in the car and Jack said, “Hon, what the hell are you doing during the day?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home