Friday, May 04, 2007

Kid-Netics

On yet another channel-changing expedition, I saw Fantasia, that past winner of an American Idol competition, singing the Porgy & Bess song, “Summer Time.” This video brought back a memory (or a few). My mom used to sing that song to my older sister and I in an attempt to put us to sleep. However, I was horrified by the words that told me one day I was going to “flap my wings and take to the sky.” I prayed that it wouldn’t happen, because I had no idea of where I would go.

Many, many cynical years later, in a family tradition kind of way, I was singing the same lyrics to my three-year-old son, trying to put him to sleep. His little cherubic eyes were closed as he listened. Then I got to these words: “Your daddy’s rich and your mama’s good lookin’.’” His eyes popped opened; he raised a stubby finger, lifted his head from his pillow, and in that ducky voice that all kids have he said, “Wait a secon’! My daddy’s not rich an’ you’re not good lookin’” Then he threw his little head back and just laughed and laughed.

Oh my God, I thought. He’s his mama’s son. I hope he can live with it.

5 Comments:

At 5:54 AM , Blogger Jerry said...

Well, David is older now and probably understands how wrong he was.

But, even if he was right, money and looks are not everything...there's the sound of the beautiful blue bird announcing the morning--tu whit, tu whit. And, the beauty of the sunset on a winter's eve.

Yes, when you reconsider life with all its ups and downs it becomes clear that money and looks are not what matters the most; they are the only things that matter at all.

David was quite precocious wasn't he?

 
At 12:31 PM , Blogger Jerry said...

Something about this story reminds me of the movie, Rosemary's Baby. David doesn't have hooves does he?

If he does, we can make a lot of money off him down in Underground Atlanta. The Hoof People gather there to whisper their prayers and smite non-believers and take their wallets.

 
At 12:52 PM , Blogger Gail said...

A sense of humor does not hooves imply . . . although many may disagree, especially in my case:)Even if David had hooves, I'm sure he would refuse to participate in such a venture. My hooves make a great tapping noise, but unfortunately I have no rhythm and abhor performing in public. However, if Jack Handy is correct, and tap dancing is mostly just nerves, I might be better than I think.

 
At 5:33 PM , Blogger Tim Williams said...

I've always found you to be very attractive Gail...I don't mean that in a weird, creepy stalker kind of way...

 
At 6:48 PM , Blogger Gail said...

Thanks friend!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home